Drawing and painting are universal languages, and kind of a meditation! The people who come to my workshop cannot talk any more but when we make art together, we are in strong connection and communication with each other and we do have a lot of fun!
The mission of the workshop is: To give people suffering from dementia a possibility for communication, a moment of resourcing, as well as human connection and dignity. Human connection and dignity is difficult to find in the world with dementia.
- When I go wandering around. Let me go. Don’t force me to sit down. Let me stand and walk around
- When I ask for my mum, don’t tell me she’s dead. Hold my hand, and ask me for her name
- When I’m angry, I don’t want medication. I want you to listen to my voice and take your time.
- When I don’t want to eat any more, it’s not because I’m not hungry. It’s because I forgot how to. Show me how you do it…
- When I don’t want you to help me washing myself and getting dressed, it’s not that I want to be dirty. It’s because I forgot you offered me your help.
- Just keep repeating what you’re going to do, keep warning me what is coming next, and maybe you even get a kiss 🙂
- If you have empathy, and look with patience what I want to say, maybe you’ll even find out how I feel
- I have an illness, you know, called Alzheimer. Now I still remember, but tomorrow I’ll have forgotten it.