For those interested : here we go again with the “Simply Draw it” workshop, springtime version 😀
AUSSI EN FRANCAIS
OOK IN HET NEDERLANDS
An introduction for those who don’t know the workshop:
Being a child I always wanted to become an artist, but my parents pushed me into university and I became an architect… After about 15 years without drawing I struggled myself through tutorials, workshops with several watercolour artists, doing loads of work, struggling to find “my style”… It was full of stress, where it should have been fun and full of joy! I did also a lot of watercolor workshops and it all seemed so complicated and non-intuitive… There are funnier and easier ways to learn how to draw & paint.
I think we all teach what we most needed to learn when we were beginners and that we all grow when we get out of our comfort zone. In this sense I find it very important to pay attention to the new members and the beginners, as they’re the future of the organization, and accompany them. When I invite new people to join the urban sketchers I noticed that it’s an obstacle for a lot of beginners that they find they can’t draw well enough to join the urbansketchers. Some of them literally told me “they’ll come back when they know how to draw”…
So I created this workshop especially destined to beginning sketchers who struggle with drawing and “start from scratch”. For that I also use Betty Edwards method “Drawing on the Right side of the Brain”. I think it’s an excellent method. I present some of the exercises in the book applied specifically to urban sketching.
My “speciality” is value drawing, cityscapes, mixture of techniques to create texture with pencil, ink, ballpoint pen and watercolor
My workshop is called “Simply Draw & Paint It” : Urban sketching on the right side of the brain
As it’s in spring, I plan to go sketching cherry blossoms in Brussels. The last Sunday we’ll go to Bruges.
In november and december I organized 4 “Simply Draw It”-sessions, and now I add “paint it” to it, as I experienced everybody likes to give more attention to end the sketch in watercolour. So let’s “Simply Draw & Paint it” ! Because even if you do it only 5 minutes a day: by the end of the year you’ll have made gigantic improvement to your art!
In this workshop we will exercise how to look in a creative way at an urban scene and sketch in a relaxed way what we see, avoiding overwhelm and allowing each participant to search for his own “handdrawing”. At the end of the session each participant will have experienced and researched a way of finding his own drawing style.
I developed some urbansketching exercises based on Betty Edward’s method to make drawing more accessible and to make progress in drawing more effective and joyfull and to take away the fear of making a “bad” drawing.
Learning goals :
- Learn how to really look at an urban subject in a way to activate the right part of the brain
- Learn some observation tips to make a “correct” drawing without getting into detailed perspective rules
- Learn the basic drawing perception skills:
The basic perception skills are:
- the perception of edges (seeing where one thing ends and another starts)
- the perception of spaces (seeing what lies beside and beyond)
- the perception of relationships (seeing in perspective and in proportion)
- the perception of light and shadows (seeing things in degrees of values)
- the perception of gestalt (seeing the whole and its parts)
“Learning to draw is really a matter of learning to see – to see correctly- and that means a good deal more than merely looking with the eye” [Kimon Nicolaides, the Natural Way to Draw]
Workshop location :
- Dates : 21/04, 28/04 and 05/05
- Duration :
- Workshop Schedule
Introduction and warming up :
- We’ll start with a short explanation and 15 minutes warm up exercises to learn how to look with blind contour drawings
First part of the exercise with 10 minutes demo/explanation and afterwards 1 hour accompanied sketching:
- the perception of edges (seeing where one thing ends and another starts) (20 minutes)
- the perception of spaces (seeing what lies beside and beyond) (20 minutes)
- the perception of relationships (seeing in perspective and in proportion) (20 minutes)
Regroup and discuss 10 minutes
Second part of the exercise with 10 minutes demo/explanation and afterwards 50 minutes accompanied sketching:
- the perception of light and shadows (seeing things in degrees of values) with watercolor (20 minutes)
Regroup and discuss 10 minutes
- the perception of gestalt (seeing the whole and its parts) (20 minutes)
Final Regroup and discuss 15 minutes
- Maximum number of participants : 10, beginners level
- Minimum number of participants : 5
- Supply list :
Your sketchbook and your favourite drawing tools, such as a graphite pencil HB, B or 2B, colour pencils, watercolors, pen or markers of your choice. And a folding stool to be comfortable.
Personally I use ballpoint pen, 2B pencil, waterproof ink and watercolours.
- Registration fee 35 euro/session or 99 euro for the 4 sessions, available on my website http://barbaraluel.com/myshop/
- Scholarship USK and I are offering one scholarship for a full sessions workshop (the 4 sessions) to a student. Applications to be send to [email protected]
Bonjour Barbara, dommage que ce soit uniquement sur des après midi car j habite à Valence ..un peu loin de Bruxelles ; je serais intéressée mais sur une journée complète ou un week end complet. Corinne
Ah oui je comprend que ce soit un peu trop peu une demie journée pour venir de Valence…Hmm la prochaine fois je prévoirai une journée complète…. Tu voudrais venir quelle date si c’était un jour complet? Peut-être que d’autres seraient intéressés?
J’envisage de changer des dates une journée complète à Bruges pour la séance du 5 mai. Ca t’intéresserait ou est-ce trop loin pour toi?
Hopefully you will have an online workshop sometime soon! I am too far away to attend, but love your painting and sketching!
Thank you for your question!
I’m planning to put courses online by the end of this year, but I’ve still a lot of work to do for that… 😉
Hi Corinne, are you planning a workshop in July or August 2019?
Yes I give a workshop at Ile-de-Ré in France (en français) on 22nd august. At Ars-en-Ré, a whole day 🙂
sorry to reply so late… I had nothing planned but now a french friend is inviting me to her house at Ars-en-Ré and so I’ll give the workshop there. 🙂
I give a workshop at Ile-de-Ré in France (en français) on 22nd august. At Ars-en-Ré, a whole day