Simply Draw it: Urbansketching on the right side of the brain
Are you feeling uncomfortable drawing, or you think you can’t draw enough to do urbansketching, or you don’t know where to start ? Then this workshop is for you!
- Workshop description
In this workshop we will exercise how to look in a creative way at an urban scene and sketch in a relaxed way what we see, avoiding overwhelm and allowing each participant to search for his own “handdrawing”. At the end of the session each participant will have experienced and researched a way of finding his own drawing style.
This workshop is based on the method “drawing from the right side of the brain” by Betty Edwards and is especially meant for beginners.
The verbal analytic left hemisphere of the brain doesn’t actually want you to draw because then it is “set aside” while you’re drawing. But once you “get into” drawing time passes productively.
A lot of beginning sketchers feel uncomfortable with their drawing skills or overwhelmed by the environment to draw and don’t know where to start. This can cause a lot of stress and sometimes even takes away the joy of sketching and the monkey in their head sometimes even starts saying that they don’t have a “gift” to draw well.
I developed some exercises to make drawing more accessible and to make progress in drawing more effective and joyfull and to take away the fear of making a “bad” drawing.
- Learning goals
- Learn how to really look at a subject in a way to activate the right part of the brain (and to make the verbal analytic left hemisphere of the brain shut up)
- Learn some observation tips to make a “correct” drawing without knowing perspective rules
- Learn the basic drawing perception skills:
The basic perception skills are:
- the perception of edges (seeing where one thing ends and another starts)
- the perception of spaces (seeing what lies beside and beyond)
- the perception of relationships (seeing in perspective and in proportion)
- the perception of light and shadows (seeing things in degrees of values)
- the perception of gestalt (seeing the whole and its parts)
“Learning to draw is really a matter of learning to see – to see correctly- and that means a good deal more than merely looking with the eye” [Kimon Nicolaides, the Natural Way to Draw]
- Workshop location : Halles St Géry, Brussels , Belgium
As it will be autumn, if it’s probably bad weather, we will draw inside.
- Dates : Sunday 11/11, 25/11, 2/12, 16/12
- Duration 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon, four Sunday afternoons, from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Workshop Schedule
Introduction and warming up :
We’ll start with a short explanation and 15 minutes warm up exercises to learn how to look with blind contour drawings
First part of the exercise with 10 minutes demo/explanation and afterwards 60 minutes accompanied sketching:
- the perception of edges (seeing where one thing ends and another starts) (20 minutes)
- the perception of spaces (seeing what lies beside and beyond) (20 minutes)
- the perception of relationships (seeing in perspective and in proportion) (20 minutes)
Regroup and discuss 10 minutes
Second part of the exercise with 10 minutes demo/explanation and afterwards 1 hour accompanied sketching:
- the perception of light and shadows (seeing things in degrees of values) (20 minutes)
Regroup and discuss 10 minutes
- the perception of gestalt (seeing the whole and its parts) (20 minutes)
Regroup and discuss 15 minutes
- Supply list your sketchbook and your favorite drawing tools, such as a graphite pencil HB, B or 2B, color pencils, watercolors, pen or markers. And a folding stool to be comfortable.
- Registration fee 30 euro/participant /day, or 99 euro for the 4 days (instead of 4×30 euro)
- payment with PayPal or bank transfer after registration per email at [email protected] , discounts for students 50%. Museum ticket not included. To buy the workshop please go to my shop : http://barbaraluel.com/myshop/
PS : JE PARLE AUSSI FRANCAIS
NB: IK SPREEK OOK NEDERLANDS
Are there workshops in NYC and Brooklyn?
Ooohhhh I would LOVE to!!!
Tha would be great! I LOVE New York…..
If you have a group of about 15 interested people and if we can make it a 5 days workshop (courses in the morning and guided drawing in the afternoons) then I could plan a trip to New York 🙂
I love New York… !
Absolument génial, je me permet de transférer via ma page FB. Bizzz
Ohhh merciiiii mille fois cher Thierry ‼️‼️‼️
Bonjour Barbara. Organisez-vous souvent ces formations pour débutants en Belgique ? Pas dispo cette fois . Merci
Ce sont mes premiers cours :)) Je ferai le bilan après ces sessions… s’il y a de la demande j’en ferai d’autres !
voilà, mes cours étant terminés et mon bilan étant très positif, je pense que j’organiserai encore de temps en temps d’autres formations 🙂
Si vous avez un petit groupe de du genre 5 à 10 personnes je peux organiser la formation immédiatement sur mesure pour vous.
Hello Barbara. Do you have any workshops online? I would gladly pay for the opportunity to learn from you as I have every difficulty/problem/challenge you mention on instagram. Or perhaps you are writing a book with English translation? Lastly perhaps you will be in Los Angeles. You have hit the nail on the head in defining my needs! Thank you!!!
Ohhh thank you so much Shelley ! I’m happy to read this ! I don’t plan a trip to LA in the near future, because that’s really far for me, but I’m working on online courses and a work book that goes with it. I hope to finish that in 2019! Thank you so much! PLease keep me posted with your needs, as that really helps me in developing my courses 🙂
I will be interested in online classes also since I live in Indiana.
Oh that’s great to hear ! Thank you so much !
Prévoyez-vous des sessions Parisiennes svp ? 🙂
Merci & à bientôt !
Très chère Nawal,
Si vous me rassemblez un groupe de 10 personnes je viendrai avec plaisir 🙂
Oh ça se tente. ☺️
Merci pour votre prompte réponse Barbara !